Monday, September 6, 2010

Greek Whale Watching

Last night after the curtain closed on sunset, I grabbed some seafood for dinner, lobster risotto precisely, and retreated to Monterey in search of a hotel that didn't read "no" in front or in back of "vacancy."  Too tired to continue my ritual Hotwire/Priceline analysis, on top of shoddy internet connection, a hacienda-like beauty caught my eye.  Hotel Abrego it was.  Although astronomical in price, the desk attendant got me with "fireplace" and the credit card was all of swiped once I took a tour of my would-be lux room.  It did have a fireplace, a king sized bed, a huge walk-in shower, a general homey atmosphere.  I could literally have lived there, had money been no object...

I didn't want to leave my beautiful room this morning.  At 11:35am (checkout was at 12 noon) I was still vacillating over where or not to ask for late check out so I could sleep more, maybe actually turn on the massive swiveling flatscreen, and take like six more showers.  But I decided that Monterey was waiting for me, this whole new stretch of territory I'd never been to before.  No matter how beautiful four walls and a slate-tiled shower were, there was nothing about sleep, tv, and bathing that hadn't happened to me before.  The sun was shining in rare Bay Area form and with each zip of luggage, I felt the promise of good things straight ahead.

As I drove randomly about, it wasn't long before I reached my first and what turned out to be final destination.  Ooooo, a Greek Festival!!  I've always wanted to go to a Greek Festival!!  Greek people and their food are da bomb hizzle!!!!  A short distance parking place greeted me and off I went to seek out all things Greek!!  The jewelery tables caught me first and I made a modest purchase.  A divalicious bracelet.  Nothing real Greek looking but divatastic nonetheless.  I had intentions of going back to buy a sterling silver ring or too.  Wanted to get around to all the vendors, settle on some Grecian grub, then wiled more money on a full stomach.  It never happened.

What good fortune awaited me, though!!  I was making my way around the festival and lo, Fisherman's Wharf!!!! Talk about good tidings of great joy, a bag of chips AND a soda on the side!  Woohoo!!!  I was finally at the place Monterey postcards and travel specials were made of.  It was no Pier 39, mind you, but there was clam chowder and more seafood than one craving could take!!!  I kept on walking and lo, another sign!!!  Whale Watching: Next departure 1:30.  It was 12:45.  Just doesn't get any better than that!  Deciding to risk my rental car return deadline, I handed over $40 and ran to get a jacket and sunscreen.  A swift peruse back through the Greek festival and a gyro later, I was all aboard!!

First up?  Sea otters and sea lions.  So cute.  Wanted to take one home.  Choppy, choppy waters made many sea sick.  Thank God I was able to keep my $6 gyro down... Next!  Dolphins jumping and flipping around...some....WHALES!!!!  A HUGE (like, duh) humpback, then another!!!  Such impressive and graceful animals, spouting out water and mucus ever so...so spoutingly!!  Our "tour guide" was so knowledgeable, spouting herself about all kinds of whale facts, narrating over every stretch of sea.  And then, the blue whales.  A momma and baby followed by another one who gave us a rare show.  Fluke!!! Twice!!!!  Yeah, before today, I didn't really know what that was by name either.  It's WHALE TAIL!!!!!!  You know, like in the national geographic or discovery channel, how the tail flips up and then sinks down into the ocean.  Our guide said that's something rare to catch once, let alone twice in the same setting!!! Said we could go 5-6 years before ever seeing that again... Lastly, more dolphins.  I mean like hundreds.  Oh, and I thought those bad boys were showin' out before!  HA!!! I hadn't seen nothin!  As the boat picked up momentum, here they come alongside, sending us back in full marine style.  The flipping was higher, had to have been some triple luxe going on.  The jumping was farther, the wonderment was sweeter.  There had to have been 8 different languages represented amongst my fellow passengers and I heard "Oooo look!!" in every one...Here's to the things of life that bring people together, that remind us that the common thread between us is not singular at all. 

Question(s) of the day: What kind of traveler are you?  Have you ever had an "accidental" vacation?  What are some things you've learned through your experiences away?  Where would you like to go?  What's stopping you?  No, what's REALLY stopping you?

No comments:

Post a Comment