Saturday, September 4, 2010

Under a Wandrin' Star

Contemplating nearly up to the last minute, I decided, after only 2.5 hours of sleep, to board my flight to San Francisco. I had little idea what this trip will hold, but I decided that I need it, that somehow it will be more good than bad for me.

First stop, after a long, and I mean hazardous to my health long, drawn out car rental process, (hence the reason to NOT travel during a holiday) I retreated to Oakland. I had little time to transition from travel maven to theatre goer which included full grooming, hair, makeup, and even ripping the tag off a new sweater. "Paint your Wagon" was the show, a chilly bay area ampitheatre was the venue, a beloved friend was a lead. I really didn't know what I was in for when going because to be very honest, I had never heard of Paint Your Wagon!! I figured it was going to be in plot and music much how it sounded in title.  I was right.

Overall, the show was a fun, well-executed, crowd pleaser. The highlight, my friend's darling rendititon of "They Call the Wind Mariah." I had heard and even sunch this song myself some years back in a musical theatre review, but thought it was a Jerry Herman masterpiece, not Lerner and Lowe. But that's what great art is supposed to do. Teach and reteach. I dig it.

Another highlight and I believe theme to my life was the song and reprise, "I was Born Under a Wandrin' Star."  There was one time in my life when I wanted the education, the job, the husband, the house, the kids, the retirement.  But the older I get, I realize that most of that is not for me.  No time soon, anyway.  Education?  Well, I managed to (finally) get most of that.  Sure do wish, for no other reason than having one, that I had a graduate degree in me.  HA!!  Never in this life will you get me into another classroom.  I am truly the world's WORST student.  On most days I'm pretty smart and I do love learning, though...hmph...  The job?  I actually have managed to make that one happen, but I know this day job thing can't hold me for too long.  No complaints, but paradoxically, I'm shooting for the gig to gig existence The husband?  Been there, done that.  And unless there is some paragon of male species that is being manufactured somewhere, don't think I'll be going there.  I am a little bit in love, though... The house?  Ha!! Talk about a ball and chain!!!  I have a hard enough time keeping a 12 month lease before I'm itching to move somewhere else!  Not interested!  The kids?  Too selfish.  Maybe I'm being a bit hard on myself and am not bestowing credit for my (now heavily veiled)  motherly instincts as evidenced by my several years of very skillful childcare.  Maybe it's the fact that while married I wanted children so badly but he wasn't the one and I'm not trying to be disappointed about it anymore...let's just stick with selfish.  It's easier... The retirement?  If I'm working for passion, who needs to retire?  The truth is, most musicians are too poor to do so anyway.  Again, it's all about the passion!!  You know, I'm growing much more content this way.  Fewer expectations, more opportunities to enjoy life's surprises I guess...

My mother said that it was wonderful that I made it to California.  I think so too.  It's time to do some sighing and gazing at where my wandrin' star will take me next.  And how bad can that be?

Question of the day: When weighing your options in a given situation, which most often tips the scale? The positive or the negative?

No comments:

Post a Comment